Renaissance Leipzig Hotel. Wellesley Inn Greece. Royal Hawaiian Hotel.
Renaissance Leipzig Hotel
- The Renaissance (French for "rebirth"; Rinascimento, from ri- "again" and nascere "be born") was a cultural movement that spanned roughly the 14th to the 17th century, beginning in Florence in the Late Middle Ages and later spreading to the rest of Europe.
- The culture and style of art and architecture developed during this era
- rebirth: the revival of learning and culture
- The revival of art and literature under the influence of classical models in the 14th–16th centuries
- A revival of or renewed interest in something
- the period of European history at the close of the Middle Ages and the rise of the modern world; a cultural rebirth from the 14th through the middle of the 17th centuries
- The Bezirk Leipzig was a district (Bezirk) of East Germany. The administrative seat and the main town was Leipzig.
- An industrial city in east central Germany; pop. 503,000
- a city in southeastern Germany famous for fairs; formerly a music and publishing center
- Leipzig (, also called Leipsic in English; Lipsk) is, with a population of appr. 519,000, the largest city in the federal state of Saxony, Germany and in the new states of Germany.
- In French contexts an hotel particulier is an urban "private house" of a grand sort. Whereas an ordinary maison was built as part of a row, sharing party walls with the houses on either side and directly fronting on a street, an hotel particulier was often free-standing, and by the eighteenth
- An establishment providing accommodations, meals, and other services for travelers and tourists
- A hotel is an establishment that provides paid lodging on a short-term basis. The provision of basic accommodation, in times past, consisting only of a room with a bed, a cupboard, a small table and a washstand has largely been replaced by rooms with modern facilities, including en-suite
- A code word representing the letter H, used in radio communication
- a building where travelers can pay for lodging and meals and other services
Greenwich Village, Manhattan
The Keller Hotel was constructed in 1897-98 to the Renaissance Revival style design of Julius Munckwitz. He was Supervising Architect and Superintendent of Parks in New York City and maintained an architectural practice in Harlem. Most of the buildings that Munckwitz designed have been demolished. The building was built by William Farrell, a prominent coal merchant.
The hotel was operated by several proprietors including Fritz Brodt, who had a contract with the United States government to provide food to immigrants at Ellis Island. The hotel was located near ferry and transatlantic cruise ship docks where thousands of visitors arrived. By at least 1935, it housed transient sailors. After the decline of the maritime industry on the Hudson River, the Keller Hotel became a single-room occupancy hotel and the Keller Bar at the corner storefront became a popular bar catering to a gay clientele. The building is currently vacant, but the interior is being altered to convert the upper floors to residential use. The building has two cast-iron storefronts at the ground floor of the West Street facade, which feature a continuous cornice and columns with a stylized floral design at the capitals. The upper floors are constructed of brick with stone trim and feature a restrained use of classical and Renaissance-inspired ornament. It is one of the last surviving turn-of-the-century Hudson River waterfront hotels. The building, situated along the Hudson River, is a significant reminder of the era when the Port of New York was one of the world’s busiest and the section of the Hudson River between Christopher and 23rd Streets was the heart of the busiest section of the Port of New York.
The Keller Hotel is a Renaissance Revival style masonry building with cast-iron storefronts.
Classical and Renaissance-inspired architecture gained favor beginning in the 1880s, lasting into the 1920s. The styles were popularized by American architects and patrons who had visited Europe or had seen pictures of European buildings, and were familiar with the masterpieces of classical, Renaissance, and neoclassical architecture. These styles, which were used for all types of buildings, including commercial and residential, feature classical design forms and detailing used in various combinations and degrees of restraint or exuberance. Julius F. Munckwitz, as a native of Leipzig, Germany, would have had first hand familiarity with Renaissance and neoclassical architecture. The Keller Hotel is an example of an elegant, restrained use of Renaissance-inspired ornament concentrated at the entrance door of the hotel and around the window openings. The string courses between each floor, entrance portico with classical-inspired Corinthian columns and simple cornice with classical and Renaissance-inspired ornament are characteristic of the style.
Cast-iron storefronts can be found in New York City as early as 182533 and continued to be constructed long after cast-iron fronted buildings ceased to be constructed at the end of the 19th century. The use of cast-iron in the construction of storefronts permitted large display windows.
The two storefronts at the Keller Hotel feature a continuous cornice and columns with a stylized floral design at the capitals.
The Keller Hotel building was owned by William Farrell’s estate until 1946 when it was sold to Sophia Lent. Subsequent owners of the building include Montceil Realty Corp., who acquired it from Sophia Lent in 1950; William Gottlieb, who then purchased it in 1985 from Montceil. William Gottlieb (c. 1935-1999), a real estate investor, owned hundreds of buildings in Greenwich Village, Gansevoort and the Lower East Side and was known not to sell or re-develop his real estate properties.26 Upon his death, his holdings passed to his sister, Mollie Bender.
The corner storefront at 384 West Street had been occupied as a restaurant, bar or saloon since at least the 1930s by a succession of tenants (Renee Tavern, 1939-1949, Charles Bar & Grill, 1950-1955, Keller Bar 1956-1998). The Keller Bar was reputed to be the oldest gay “leather” bar in the City.
The northern storefront at 385 West Street has been occupied by a number of different businesses, including John Dees, billiards (1940), Bering Marine Service Corp. field office (1945), Jerome Jawitz, electrical engineer (1950), Eastern Tire and Supply Company (1953-58) Lou Berg, seamen supplies and work clothes (1959-1970) and QQFS, catering (1973-1975).
- From the 2007 NYCLPC Landmark Designation Report.
Altes Rathaus Leipzig
Altes Rathaus Leipzig, erbaut 1556, bedeutendes Renaissance-Bauwerk
cheap accommodation stockholm
hotels near arlington cemetery
hobart backpackers accommodation
imperial palace hotel las vegas reviews
leading hotels of the world the
bed and breakfast in chicago area
bed and breakfasts in london